To: <elecraft@mailman.qth.net>
Sent: Sunday, February 10, 2008 1:14 PM
Subject: Re: Re:[Elecraft] K3 S-meter calibration

W6NEK wrote:

Hi Dave,
I am curious what version of firmware you're running in your K3.  My K3
(SN 312) is running the latest firmware (MCU 1.66 & DSP1 1.52).  I have
CONFIG menu "SMTR OF = 024 & SMTR SC = 014) with PRE AMP on.  As expected
my S-Meter reads S9 with 50uv applied from a XG1 signal generator.
However, when tuning in local broadcast stations, which are S9+50 db on
three other receivers, my K3 only reads S9+20 db.  In addition, if I turn
my RF Gain Control fully counter clock wise (anti clock wise) the S-Meter
only reads S7 rather then full scale.

<SNIP>

So the question is: am I the only one who has an S-Meter response as
described above?

Thanks for any input,
Frank - W6NEK

Hi Frank,

I'm on the Field Test team so I'm using 1.67/1.53.  I've also made the
Hardware AGC Mod G4AON described.  Using the XG1 and Preamp On (following
the manual S-Meter calibration procedure on page 48), I get SMTR OF = 030
(at the upper limit of adjustment) and SMTR SC = 014. I'm also experiencing
the same issue you are with RF Gain full CCW resulting in only S7 on my
meter.

Only one other Field Tester (W0YK) responded to a query about my odd SMTR OF
reading and both of his units were 22/14 and 24/14, which leaves me
wondering if there is something wrong in mine. You comments make me think I
may not be the only one with some sort of problem.

For other K3 users ***who have actually followed the S-meter calibration
procedure in the manual***, please send me your settings for SMTR OF and
SMTR SC.  I'll compile a list and post the results here.  If you just used
the recommended settings of 24/14, there is no need to reply.

73,  Bill  W4ZV