Barry,

> I'd add one more development that I feel is necessary.  Software
> that interfaces to rigs over the single RS-232 port need to learn
> to play with each other.

That is not an application software matter - it is something the
radio manufacturers will need to fix in their CAT implementations.
There is not a single radio that is capable- in either hardware
or software - of reliably servicing two different radio control
applications.  To do so, several changes are needed in the current
radio firmware and interface:

1) commands/responses must be unambiguous - each response must
   identify not only the nature of the response but what command
   from which application the data is responding to.
2) the radio must become the "master" of all communications
   on the control bus.  The radio must contain a system under
   which (a) each controlling device is assigned a "time slot,"
   (b) the radio polls each controlling device, or (c) control
   is implemented on a shared BIDIRECTIONAL bus WITH COLLISION
   CONTROL.
3) each controlling program must be able to hear commands from
   very other controlling program and must respond to the data
   from the radio (update the program's internal status) as if
   it had issued the commands.

I suspect you will find most application software authors happy
to support a properly designed interface protocol.  I would not
expect any software writer (or group of writers) to create full
full function "virtual radio servers" for every new (and old)
radio to come along.

73,

   ... Joe, W4TV