> The way to do this is to allow one program to talk to the K3
> and support other programs via virtual serial ports.

No, every program needs to know the radio status at all times.
If one program changes a setting that a second program relies
on without notification, nasty things can happen.

> I do this with Ham Radio Deluxe, other programs talk to HRD
> via DDE, serial comms and soon via TCP/IP.
>
> HRD talks Kenwood via the virtual serial port.

Unfortunately, Kenwood is far from "universal" in its support.
HRD/Kenwood does not support split mode from other software
like DXLab Suite.  The Kenwood protocol does not provide a
dedicated "Digital" (PSK/AFSK) mode with access to digital
specific filtering like Yaesu's Packet or Digital mode or the
USB_D/LSB_D of the current Icom radios.  There are also major
limitations in compatibility between the various manufacturer's
DSP implementations (audio filtering, etc.) that leave the
user unable to access features when a non-Kenwood radio is
put behind the Kenwood emulation.

Is the "server" function available without the HRD GUI and
logbook?

73,

   ... Joe, W4TV