W4TV suggested to N1EU:

> I'd add one more development that I feel is necessary.  Software
> that interfaces to rigs over the single RS-232 port need to learn
> to play with each other.

That is not an application software matter - it is something the
radio manufacturers will need to fix in their CAT implementations.
There is not a single radio that is capable- in either hardware
or software - of reliably servicing two different radio control
applications.

Yes there is - any radio with CI-V.  Just about all
of us providing the HF packet mail link from NA into
Asia-Pacific were using ICOMs so that we could
auto-QSY multiple rigs without using up precious
serial ports (this was about 20 years ago).

CI-V also allows for multiple controllers, though I
have yet to see any other application that appears
to properly implement its CSMA/CD protocol.

73 & HLNY, ex-VS6UP.