-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Eric Fairbank
Sent: Tuesday, April 29, 2008 12:22 PM
To: elecraft@mailman.qth.net
Subject: RE: [Elecraft] K3--Trouble with Power Pole connectors

Iv'e been getting away from using Anderson Powerpole connectors and now
relying on Tyco Electronics/AMP Power Lock Connectors. Essentially the same
thing, but much higher quality. They will mate with the Anderson line so no
problem there. A lot of people have complained at how easily the powerpoles
come apart. I did some testing and found that it takes about 3 lbs of force
to pull two powerpoles apart, while it takes 8 lbs for the AMP connectors.
With an AMP mated to Anderson, it takes 6 lbs. With the AMP connectors, it
takes considerably more force to mate them and there is a distinct
snap/click sound when they go together. The pins are thicker and they have
"wings" on them so they don't flop around in the housing like the Anderson
ones do. Also, they don't require a roll pin to lock them together. There is
a little tab on the housing that locks one half of the connector to the
other. They do cost more but your getting a higher quality product in my
opinion. Anyway, for those of you that have an issue with the way Anderson's
"lock" together, you might want to give these a try. I get mine from Mouser.
http://www.mouser.com/catalog/632/1186.PDF

Eric N3EF