Last week I was on the list when my K-3 went belly up. The support folks were on top of the problem right away. Kudos to them. The problem appears to be an intermittent socket/connection between the txco and the ref board. When pressure is applied down on the txco towards the front shield the RX/TX comes to life and the synth calibrates. Why the failure happened in the first place is a mystery since the radio was working fine then quit.
In any event it would appear to be a simple enough fix at this point.

73 all
Mike/aj9c

P.S. Despite the problem I still got on the list for a second K-3 at Dayton!