Hi Bob:

Thanks for the report!

Re: your comment regarding the 50 and 100HZ bandwidth. I am surprised to hear what you report. I have the 200Hz filter in FL5. I just put the Elecraft XG-1 on ANT1 and tuned to the 7040 freq. With the bandwidth set to NORM (400 Hz) I show a S9 signal and an audio level (dbV Alternate display) of 31.7. When I narrow the bandwidth to 50 Hz, signal strength stays the same at S9 and the audio level stays the same. I do have 8 dB of gain set into FL5 where the 200 Hz filter lives. Without that additional gain, the S meter drops to S7 and the audio level drops to 30.5 dB when that filter switches in. I found it very usable at the 50 - 100 Hz bandwidths.

73,
Ken K3IU
K3 #202
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Bob Evans wrote:
I finally had a chance to put both of my K3s on really good antennas (2 el
40@ 140', 5 el 20 @ 130', 5 el 15 @ 120, 5 el 10 @ 110', 3 el 80 (delta
loops) @ 110', 140' shunt fed on 160M, 600' beverage pointed NE).  Our main
goal was to find out how the K3s interacted and whether I need to put in the
overload mod on the KXV3.  We ended up with 2002 contacts and 733
multipliers (2.8M points) even though I got sick in mid-contest and had to
take 12 hours off.  There were only two of us operating, so that was a
severe blow to our score.  Anyway, the K3s both had I.C.E. multiband band
pass filters and we were able to operate without bothering the other op.  In
most cases, we never knew the other op was on except when we were at a
second harmonic.  I actually only heard it when we were on ~7020 and ~14040.
These 2 antennas were 10 feet apart and both rigs were at 1 KW.  Even then,
we were able to operate within 10 KHz of the second harmonic.  I was amazed.
Additionally, from our Texas location, we were routinely able to hear the
VERY weak DX station right next to (or under) a loud East Coast station.  I
never thought I'd be so happy with a 150 Hz filter bandwidth.  Honestly, the
100 Hz and 50 Hz bandwidths were useless though as the signal level dropped
significantly.  It seemed much better a few firmware versions ago, but 150
Hz worked fine for us...I was just getting "greedy" by trying to use the 100
and 50 Hz BW.
The other thing I proved to myself was that I need to put the KXV3 overload
mod on my S/N 234.  No problem on S/N 752, but #234 indicated a HI PA TEMP
when we transmitted on the 160 tower and used our beverage antenna which was
only 100' away from the tower.  The PA TEMP was not high, but apparently the
overload made it appear that way.  I believe I remember that the rig dropped
itself down to 5 watts when this occurred.  I don't want to analyze the
failure, I'm just going to install the mod kit (which I've already gotten).
This test was simply to make sure I needed to do the mod before I opened
things up.  ;-)
We had 2 amplifiers fail, some computer glitches and the KRC2 wouldn't drive
the 6 pack switching arrangement (could be bad wiring on my part or low
voltage), but the K3s seemed bulletproof and felt VERY solid throughout the
contest.  I just keep getting happier and happier with my K3s every time I
put them to a new test.   Now for Field Day....  How many insects can a K3
handle before the fan speed goes into overdrive?  ;-)
Bob K5WA
K3 #234 and #752