As I mentioned in my last email, we're working on a new beta firmware release that will fix the 6-m power shutdown problem.

Meanwhile, there's a simple workaround that, used with caution, will let you operate at high power on 6 m with the existing firmware:

1. Locate the PA TEMP menu entry
2. Tap the '1' on the keypad until you see "R ONLY" (receive only) instead of "T AND R".
3. Exit the menu.

** CAUTION **

If you select "R ONLY", the fans on the KPA3 module will only be allowed to change speeds in *receive* mode. We use this undocumented feature in our lab to test the 100-W PA's performance at elevated temperatures. If the fans were off at the start of a TUNE (or keydown) period, they'll stay off until you unkey.

The use of "R ONLY" will not cause excessive PA temperatures as long as you unkey the rig often (say, at least once every 20 seconds). The fans will adjust their speed the instant you unkey (between code elements in CW mode), release PTT, etc. But this "feature" should not be used if you anticipate long key-down times in voice or data modes. (If you're concerned, you could manually set the fan speed to one of the higher levels using the KPA3 menu entry. "FAN 2" is still pretty quiet, and normally doesn't kick in until you hit 50C.)

You'll be able to go back to the normal "T AND R" setting once you update to our next beta firmware release.

73,
Wayne
N6KR

---