On Mon, 01 Dec 2008 14:26:23 -0800, Matt Zilmer wrote:

>Well, it's a known issue.  It goes two ways, too.  I have a neighbor
>that runs all gain controls fully clockwise, to the point that he
>takes up half of 80m with splatter.  This renders the K3 deaf,
because
>there is serious on-frequency signal.

YES!  It takes peer pressure and a reminder that sportsmanship and
ethics prohibit us from running a race with elbows flying (which is
what you do when an old/cheap radio and big power amp). Or generate
clicks with an un-modified Yaesu MP. Running high power carries with
it the responsibility for having a clean signal.

During the contest yesterday, I observed that a certain JA5Fxx was
getting blasted on the cluster for clicks. Sure enough, I listened
here and he was clicking in CA on 160M, 4,000 miles away, with an S8
signal. I called him five times to tell him about his clicks, but he
ignored me and went right on QRMing his neighbors. I heard him later
on two other bands, but didn't call him.

I have neighbors with K3s and KW amps only a quarter mile away, 2
miles away (N6RZ), and 5 miles away (K6XX). I find that we can
coexist with each other quite well. Two of us (W6DRX and myself)
bought K3s specifically so that we could do so. I had just bought a
pair of used MPs, so I didn't need MORE radios, only BETTER radios.
:)

And it isn't enough to buy and use a K3 -- we've got a neighboring
contester about 15 miles away with a K3 who often burns more of the
band than W6DRX (only 0.25 miles from me). Dunno what he's doing, but
it isn't good.

73,

Jim K9YC