Jim,

> He also says that "Re the bandwidth, a short time ago
> Elecraft made a mod to the firmware so that audio bandwidth
> and not IF bandwidth was displayed on the K3's screen. If
> you're seeing 5KHz and you don't have FM filter installed
> then it sounds like yet another bug."

This isn't a bug.  The DSP bandwidth is simply wider than the
IF filter.  In practice the user will see audio out to 4 KHz
or so at a reduced level following the filter skirts.

> (2) What does the LCD BW actually read?
> Is it an IF BW, an audio BW, or what, and does the displayed
> BW actually corresond to reality?

For wide modes the best way to display the bandwidth is LO/HI.
Those are the numbers that correspond to the "real world."  If
you are looking at FC/BW, the BW number will be  2 * (HI-FC).
Where FC is less than HI/2, BW will typically be overstated.
In AM for example, "NORM" is BW=5.00 and FC=1.50.  If you
toggle to the LO/HI display you will find it showing LO=0.00
and HI=4.00.  Most users would consider that to be BW=4.00.

It is most convenient to consider that (other than in CW) the
the audio DSP limits are FC<=2.20, HI<=4.20.

73,

   ... Joe, W4TV