Hi John:

You are correct. When there was no strong off center signal but two or more
strong signals within the 50Hz passband it was possible to copy one signal,
as we all do, in the presence of QRM. There was no noticeable AGC action. It
was just a normal situation of trying to copy one signal out of several.
Even at 50Hz you can't remove 100% of all QRM.

When an S8 or S9 signal was around 70Hz away the signals inside the 50Hz
passband were quiet until he stopped sending. I wanted to hear what was
causing the problem so I used RIT to tune up or down until I could hear the
off center signal. When I did I found that the offset was about 70Hz as read
on the lower display. I could then also see his signal strength on the S
meter. I wish I could say what happened when I opened up the passband but I
don't recall.

I thought a passband shift might help but the shift is limited to 50Hz
increments. So one touch of the shift knob caused me to lose the signal of
interest.

73,
Mike K2MK

John W2XS
Mon, 23 Feb 2009 10:18:02 -0800

Is my summary of the issue correct?

If both signals are within both the DSP and roofing filter bandwidths, then
the receiver recovers instantly after each character.

If the stronger signal is outside the DSP filter window (and you can't hear
him) but inside the roofing filter window, then there is de-sensing.

Would passband tuning (shift) help to shift his signal outside of the
roofing filter bandpass?

John W2XS