Having read the article in March QST by Leo Shoemaker, K4KIO,  about the
hexagonal beam, and meeting and seeing the fine work of the inventor of the
predecessor Hexbeam at Orlando, I decided to roll my own using Leo's website as
a guide.

Construction is straightforward and fun.  I ordered the base plate and
fiberglass mentioned in the article, but you could easily substitute and make
your own base plate.  Testing at ground level verified the wide-band
characteristic.  I even made a few contacts on 20 and 17 meters with the
antenna base 3 feet off the ground.  It is now on a roof tripod and working
beautifully with K3 #699 and an Ameritron ALS-600 amp.  I can hear 'em and work
'em.

FWIW, a great project with sunspots looming.  K2DLJ