Dear Elecrafters:

This weekend I put my new K3 + XV-144 on EME using JT65 for the first time.  I
have these questions:

1.  Using USB, I got a 20% TX power fluctuation depending on the tone being
sent.  By going to TX ESSB, this is reduced to about 10-15%.  Is there a way to
even out the TX power?  My previous rig (TS-2000) would send the various tones
with only a few watts (out of the 500w amp) variation.  I tried compression as
well, but it didn't help much at low compression settings.  I also tried the TX
EQUALIZATION but I think the bands overlap the tones.  What's the best strategy
here?

2.  The first station I worked off the moon reported my TX signal being abt 600
Hz high.  My XV-144 has the xtal oven and had been on for an hour before I got
on the air.  I was able to dial this in using XVTR OFFSET, but I had to set it
to +600 to move the signal down 600Hz.  Shouldn't this work the opposite way?

3.  While monkeying with the XVTR OFFSET, both VFOs locked on the K3, every
time I would change the parameter and exit the menu VFO A would be set to
144.200, and the preamp would be on when I had turned it off and set the
attenuator.  Is this a possible firmware issue?  It would be easier to fiddle
with XVTR OFFSET if these other parameters just stayed locked.  By working
several stations of known frequency accuracy, by subtracting the calculated
Doppler shift from the actual frequency difference I managed to get the XV-144
pretty close in frequency I think.

Did I mention I LOVE THIS RIG!

Thanks and 73

Eric WD6DBM