On Mar 8, 2009, at 9:23 PM, eric norris wrote:

> This weekend I put my new K3 + XV-144 on EME using JT65 for the first
> time.  I have these questions:
>
> 1.  Using USB, I got a 20% TX power fluctuation depending on the tone
> being sent.

Hi Eric,

The K3's 8-pole, 2.8 kHz filter has typically less than +/- 1 dB
ripple. The 5-pole 2.7-kHz filter can be higher. "20%" power
fluctuation is only 1.5 dB, so this could entirely account for what
you're seeing. It may be possible to compensate using TX EQ, but it
would be more accurate to compensate directly at the DSP's IF, which is
on our list for future consideration.

Does the present amount of amplitude variation affect JT65's accuracy?

> 2.  The first station I worked off the moon reported my TX signal
> being abt 600 Hz high.  My XV-144 has the xtal oven and had been on
> for an hour before I got on the air.  I was able to dial this in using
> XVTR OFFSET, but I had to set it to +600 to move the signal down
> 600Hz.  Shouldn't this work the opposite way?

Yes. In the XVn OFS menu entry, you're telling the K3 how far off your
transverter is, and in what direction. The K3 compensates the VFO for
this.

> 3.  While monkeying with the XVTR OFFSET, both VFOs locked on the K3,
> every time I would change the parameter and exit the menu VFO A would
> be set to 144.200, and the preamp would be on when I had turned it off
> and set the attenuator.  Is this a possible firmware issue?

Maybe. Please give me the exact series of K3 switch/knob events so I
can try to duplicate it.

> Did I mention I LOVE THIS RIG!

Yes :)

Thanks!