The driver I am using seems to be the latest. Device Manager says:
Prolific 9/30/2008 version 2.0.4.102

The sequence is always the same -- MCU Load completes and FPF load fails with
the error I posted.

I have the second receiver installed, but the load process does not get that
far. I have been thru 10-20 firmware upgrades with no errors in the past.

73,
Paul
K5ESW