There might be 2 distinct problems:  a) the bandwidth of the signal you
think you have and b) splatter caused by over-modulating and over-driving.

Starting with a wide-ish signal of say 6 or 7kHz, ie dsb full carrier might
be ok in uncrowded bands, but add badly adjusted modulation and drive to
another badly adjusted amplifier (a non-linear linear amplifier) and you've
got double trouble that can be heard across the world even worse than
over-driving ssb.  Couple that with the sort of drift those boat-anchors are
capable of and I can see why they have a bad reputation.  All of which can
be corrected by proper adjustment which takes more skill and understanding
not now taught.

David
G3UNA