I'm really surprised at this result.

The K3 Utility finds the radio at its set speed.  If you load firmware, the
speed is changed to 38,400 bps for the firmware load, and then restored to
the speed you had set before the firmware load.

There are some circumstances where the K3 Utility cannot restore the speed
from 38,400 to the original speed.  Those are described in the
Troubleshooting section of K3 Utility Help.  However I've never seen it
start at 4800 and leave at 9600.

This code hasn't been changed in a long, long time.  I just ran this
scenario; starting at 4800 bps, loaded all current beta firmware, and then
looked at the K3's RS-232 speed in its config menu.  It's 4800 bps, right
where I started.

Would you turn on Verbose logging (View menu, "Verbose Logging"), reload
your firmware, and send me the activity log? There's a description of how to
copy/paste the activity log in K3 Utility Help. It involves CTRL-A, CTRL-C,
and then paste into an e-mail program.

There is a single bit difference between the command that sets the baud rate
to 4800 versus 9600.  It's possible (unlikely, but possible), that the bit
was mangled in transmission.  That's why I'd like you to repeat the
procedure and send me the log.

Thanks!

73 de Dick, K6KR