Is the spur at 3.9 KHz gone?

--- On Sat, 1/9/10, Steve Ellington <n...@carolina.rr.com> wrote:

From: Steve Ellington <n...@carolina.rr.com>
Subject: [Elecraft] K3 New DSP board installed
To: Elecraft@mailman.qth.net
Date: Saturday, January 9, 2010, 9:41 AM

The installation of the Rev D DSP board went smoothly. I updated the
firmware and all is well.

The first thing I noticed was how much louder the headphones (Bose 32 ohm)
are. I use the FP jack. The difference is huge. Before the upgrade, I ran
the CW sidetone at 38. Now it's at 14! I'm not sure about the speaker volume
but I don't believe there was much if any change.

I don't
 hear any change in the low frequency audio. It had already been
improved earlier with one of the FW updates. Headphone impedance can affect
this too.  Using MixW, I can see a well defined null in audio level below 50
Hz.

The 3rd harmonic is still present in the low level audio output. This has
bugged me from day one on the K3. It's weak but visible on the waterfall.
See the photo at
http://n4lq.webs.com/apps/photos/photo?photoid=65288758 Don't bother telling
me it's my sound card or my level is too high. I've already been trough that
routine.

As for audio quality and listener fatigue, time will tell. This radio is
such an improvement over my IC-7800 that anything I say is just nit picking.

Was the upgrade worth the money? I guess it depends on how you feel about
money and your K3.