Yes, I did search the archives to find out "why you can transmit through
some filters and not through others" before posting this question to the
reflector. The only "authoritative" information I found information was this
from July 2008:

"Until further information to the contrary is available from Elecraft, you
must select the 2.7 or 2.8 filter for SSB, Data and CW transmit. The AM
transmit filter must be 6 kHz and the FM transmit filter must be 13 kHz. Any
other settings will result in failure and a ERR TXF (Error TX Filter)
message.

See the Errata sheet that shipped with your K3.

73,
Don W3FPR "
To the best of my ability to discern, this does not indicate the reason for
the limitation. In fact, the phrase "until further information" and the fact
that ESSB uses a different filter than "traditional" SSB indicates to me at
least the possibility that there may be "firmware" reasons for this
limitation (like BFO alignment on TX and RX), not that there aren't also
possibly "hardware" reasons (like carrier rejection, etc.). If someone knows
the theory of the radio's operation well enough to help me understand the
limitation, I would like to be enlightened.

So yes, I did look for the answer in the reflector archives and no, this is
not a request for Elecraft to take valuable time out from their other
activities to react to my personal "wish list."

--
73 -- Brian -- K1LI