I recently tried switching to 256-color mode and encountered a problem I
don't know how to troubleshoot.

When I set the terminal options to 256-color, everything on the screen
starts blinking!

I'm using iTerm 0.9.6.1201 on OS X Leopard (10.5.6) and have the
terminal emulation set as xterm-color.  The cursor is set to block mode
with blinking, but changing this doesn't affect the problem I'm seeing
with elinks.

I've also tried using OS X's terminal.app instead.  No joy.

Here's the info from the elinks Help/About screen, showing version
number and features enabled:

                                  ELinks 0.11.4rc1

                           Built on Feb 20 2009 10:57:10

                                  Text WWW browser

                                     Features:

      Standard, Fastmem, IPv6, gzip, bzip2, No mouse, Periodic Saving, Timer,

    Cascading Style Sheets, Protocol (File, FTP, Gopher, HTTP, URI rewrite,
User
                                    protocols),

   SSL (OpenSSL), MIME (Option system, Mailcap, Mimetypes files), LED
indicators,

    Bookmarks, Cookies, Form History, Global History, Scripting (Lua), Goto URL

                                     History,

                                   Search History

(It's not reflected here, but I did enable 256-colors in the config file
used to build elinks.)

Has anyone else seen this problem?  Is there a fix/workaround?  Which
variables, if any, in my elinks.conf file are likely to be causing the
problem?  Anything else I should look at or try?