>set mime.type.image.png = "pngpicture"
>set mime.handler.pngpicture.win32 = "some-viewer %"
>set mime.handler.pngpicture.win32-xwin = "some-viewer %"
>set mime.handler.pngpicture.unix = "some-viewer %"
>set mime.handler.pngpicture.unix-xwin = "some-viewer %"

This is crazy... I had tried all this but just based on your suggestion I tried
it again
and it works! Must have had a typo or something. The system is unix-xwin by the
way.

>There is this line in subst_file():
>
>                        add_to_string(&name, new_path);
>
>Perhaps if you changed it to:
>
>                        add_shell_quoted_to_string(&name, new_path,
> strlen(new_path));
>
>then it would work better?

Yes I tried this, and it definitely picks the correct file now, but it didnt
work. I realized
the problem after some sleep statements and printfs. It's that the file
/tmp/elinks*.png
is empty. So when the external process starts, it tries to read the empty file
and
complains. So it seems the download process is getting botched (it works if I
use the
save button). I would appreciate any further pointers you may have on this.

Please reply to all. Thanks a lot for your help!

saurabh