heya,

I'm attempting to use Gmail via elinks, the console webbrowser. Apparently,
this is one of the most feature-packed of the console browers =), so I was
hoping for this to be a fairly good experience.

Anyhow, for some reason, I've getting very random characters everywhere -
e.g. â, ¤, Â - usually where say, the borders are meant to be, or in between
words etc. Screenshot here (I've deleted bits and pieces of it for privacy).

http://twitpic.com/1ym2vs/full

I compare this to something like:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/reacuna/352340792/

which looks good, without the random characters.

I'm connecting through Putty, I've set elinks to "VT 100 frames" for frame
handling, and it's on 256 colors.

Are there any special settings I need to set, to make Gmail look better in
Elinks? Or any tweaks I should use?

Also, I should add that links2 (version 2.2) seems to display Gmail fine,
without all the random garbage characters, not sure why. But I'd really like
to get elinks working, of course, and it seems to have more active
development, so it's weird it's broken like this on Ubuntu. Strange.

Another thing - when I compose messages in Elinks/Links2, it seems to insert
break characters at the end of each on-screen line.

So my messages end
up looking like this,
being cut off every four
lines.

Is there any easy way to rectify that, with a console browser?

Cheers,
Victor