On Mittwoch, 8. Juni 2016 10:37:41 R. David Murray wrote:

> Right, in my previous note I was talking about people not using the
> new policies.  The compat32 code is probably being used by a lot of
> people and seems to be working well, including having fixed some header
> parsing and folding bugs relative to the python2 version of the code.

FYI, all my reported issues just _vanish_, when using the compat32 policy.
This apparently makes a _huge_ difference. Probably, using SMTP policy was
just a unfortunate choice.

I'm back to regenerating all mails with the compat32 policy now (after adding
a SMTP logging module for critical conditions ;) ).

Let's see, how this goes.

While at it, David, you seem to think about improving email.

Apart from all considerations related to streaming/memory
consumption/assembly, IMHO the weakest spot of the email package is header
handling: the magic formula

  str(email.header.make_header(email.header.decode_header(msg['subject'])))

for getting to the "real" subject string is, cough, improvable.

Sure, this is complicated by the all the other modules, that are using
email.header as well. I can only remotely imagine, how hard this is going to
be in order to get this out of the SNAFU state..

Anyway..
Getting-back-some-confidence-in-email-ly yours,
Pete