I think that PHP is a lot easier to install and use for the average user/programmer. Maybe more importantly, it is easier to install PHP apps on an ISP's server. Embperl is easy to install, but mod_perl can be tricky and you have to be somewhat of a guru to understand it and use it's power. That is why PHP's popularity is growing much more rapidly than mod_perl.

I agree. PHP solves small problems fast, is implemented and learned quickly, and is widely supported. I think of mod_perl/embperl as my 'power tools' for my projects with dedicated servers and need for robust applications, which is most of them.

A good question might be, is there anything we can do to encourage support for mod_perl/embperl on hosts? Also, could we assemble a list of hosts who are known to support them well? Someone interested in trying embperl may be more likely to choose it if finding a host is easier.

I would be willing to help with such a project, though as mentioned I almost never deal with third party hosts.

Lars