2012/1/7 Jon Elson <el...@pico-systems.com>:
> There are two options, I suppose.
> Provide a different mode, where this
> restriction is ignored, and the CAM is trusted to not ever exceed the
> machine acceleration limits.
> Or, develop an N-block look-ahead, and I know that can be QUITE
> complex.

Could You, please, expand on how what could CAM do differently? Do You
mean that CAM would insert commands in g-code telling the controller:
"next n moves (or all moves until told differently) can be done at
full speed" or "now beware and get ready to stop at the end of move".
What if there are arcs, described with many small straight lines and
there is very sharp corner between two arcs? Each machine has
different acceleration/deceleration limits. How will CAM know, when to
tell "go at full speed" and when to tell "start braking"?

IMHO the second option is the only viable way to go, but I have no idea, how :))
And maybe it should not look up a certain number of rows, but certain
distance - if the next move is very long, there is no need to rush. If
a certain number of lines for look-ahead is done, what happens, if
small lines are so small, that it takes more than predefined number of
them for a full stop?

Viesturs