EBo wrote:
> On Fri, 18 May 2012 18:42:53 -0700, dave wrote:
>
>> Matt and I were talking the other day about a next-gen linuxcnc
>> processor and wandered into the area of a decent processor coupled to
>> an fpga for all the stuff that a normal processor doesn't do well.
>>

> have you taken a look at Yishin Li's work through www.araisrobo.com?  I
> hope to start playing with this soon.

I was sure hoping that the Beagle Board would be the CPU part, and I
could make a board
that hooked to the GPIO expansion header for the FPGA part.  The only
holdup is the
RT problem.

One surprise I found was that the GPIO on the Beagle Board's OMAP CPU is
multiplexed,
and on the original 600 MHz processor you could only update a pin every
240 ns.
As best as I could tell, the CPU went into a wait state during the time
it took for the
GPIO pin to update.  This not only limited the I/O rate, it also
dramatically slowed
down the CPU.  On the other hand, examining latency via oscilloscope showed
the thing to be astoundingly regular just in user mode.  This
multiplexing is
not described ANYWHERE in the 3700!! page technical doc on the CPU.

Does anyone know if this multiplexing is standard on all ARM CPUs or is just
on some, like the OMAP used on the Beagle?  (I think it is an OMAP3430,
but not completely sure of the model #.)  If all the I/O pads ran even a
little
closer to CPU speed, it would be a big help!  On the Beagle, it seems
the GPIO
updates every 140 CPU clock cycles.

Jon