On 7/20/2012 4:57 AM, andy pugh wrote:
> On 20 July 2012 07:38, Darren Conway <darren.con...@xtra.co.nz> wrote:
>
>> Would the Raspberry Pi be a candidate for running EMC?
> Quite possibly, yes.
> Some discussion here:
> http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1847
> and here:
> http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=2376
>
> When mine arrives it will definitely be something I at least play with.

Well, my US vendor tells me my RPi should be shipped <finally!> in late
August, so you have at least a month to get LinuxCNC working on it:-)

On a more serious note, as has been discussed on the two emc mail lists,
the road to ARM is littered with ideas but so far we have little result.

The nicely done miniEMC2 project by Sergey Kaydalov is the most complete
effort I know of. It employed the higher-latency Xenomi code rather than
RTAI. Inquiring minds want to know more about the possibility of porting
this code or something like it to boards like the RPi or BB and about
the resulting performance attainable. I wish I could have tackled this
already but I've got too many family issues at the moment.

Then there's the problem of gluing these boards to our CNC hardware
about which I yield to Jon.

Lay on MacDuff.

Regards,
Kent