On 9/15/2012 12:22 PM, Jan de Kruyf wrote:
> Hallo Kent,
> Please let it run overnight, my poor old Dell wanted to go to bed sometime
> after midnight and gave some horrible results next morning (been sleeping
> at the wheel, obviously). Although it looked quite happy for the first hour
> or so.
To be sure; I just didn't want to stay awake another minute to get it
started:-)
> The other thing to watch out for is frequency throttling when not busy. It
> bugs your latency straight away.
>
> https://www.osadl.org/Single-View.111+M52601a5fd69.0.html

Yep. Familiar with the problem from other projects. It's particularly
bad with many laptops. I don't think it's the prime mover in my tests so
far, but I was killing all the cpufreq related stuff early on.

> And the last thing: Some kernels behave better than others on certain
> CPU's, and that is probably the nastiest problem of the lot. But this is
> life.

Absolutely, and this is why I'm spending some time with this board. It
already works fine for me in a traditional RTAI-based LinuxCNC system. I
decided to play with it because of the general, well-founded belief
among our users that Atom boards work great. Inquiring minds (well, at
least mine) want to know if this is true with alternative realtime
O/Ses. If LinuxCNC over Xenomai or RT PREEMPT Linux is to go forward,
the users will need lists of boards that work, possibly more finely
classified as to potential use than is our current latency-test results
table.

> Cheers,
>
> j.

Thanks, Jan.

Regards,
Kent

PS - speaking of old Dells, I recently scrounged a Dell Optiplex 745
(core 2 duo) that I have in mind fitting out with LibreOffice and giving
to my grandkids. Obviously I had to test its performance too. It turns
out to be a lousy performer with either RTAI or RT PREEMPT. I believe
Dell's BIOS is to blame but that's water over the dam. It won't affect
kids doing their homework.