On 11/20/21 12:42 PM, Jérémie Tarot wrote:

So, I may restructure french doc and remove fixed lie width from main
documentation before comparing both translations, or, just remove fixed
line width from main doc and move all french files to a docs/archive/fr/
directory and start fresh, eventually using archived file as help...

Please share ideas and opinions to help carve the best path. Also please
tell me on which branch I should base these tasks.

Unless there's a strong reason to, please avoid making whitespace changes (such as deleting newline characters to combine short lines of "flowed" or "word-wrapped" text into a single long line).

There are a couple of reasons for this:

Spurious whitespace changes make it harder to track changes over time.

The git revision control system is line-oriented, which means that lines that fit on a screen are much easier to work with than lines that are so long that they wrap, or that you have to scroll the screen to see the end of them.

This is part of our "best practices for contributing" guidelines:

http://linuxcnc.org/docs/devel/html/code/contributing-to-linuxcnc.html#_follow_the_style_of_the_surrounding_code

That said, if there's a compelling argument for why this situation is special and the usual norms should be reconsidered, I'd be happy to hear it.

--
Sebastian Kuzminsky