Stefan,
One area that could reduce dependency on Mesa hardware would be to bring
Ethercat into the Debian repos. We mention it is being supported in our
shiny new repository entry but it's not and it's difficult to install on
newer distros.
There is an ethercat driver for linuxcnc here:
See: https://github.com/sittner/linuxcnc-ethercat

Previously, it was determined that this was not possible due to incorporate
this to possible licensing restrictions with Beckhoff but from what I can
see that license is for hardware devices only and the driver links to the
Etherlabmaster open source software library
See: https://etherlab.org/en/ethercat/
Perhaps with our greater understanding of licensing and the many licences
we have uncovered in Linuxcnc, perhaps this decision could be reviewed.

And you would also probably want to capture this component for managing
CIA402 servo devices
https://github.com/dbraun1981/hal-cia402

Recently one of the etherlab developers created an unofficial buildbot for
Debian debs here so the project may be fully complete if they came on board
https://build.opensuse.org/project/show/home:bone11111:branches:science:EtherLab

Currently supporting Ethercat devices is far more difficult than it should
be.

This would be an awesome and worthy addition to the project if it were
possible.

Rod Webster
*1300 896 832*
+61 435 765 611