Den 2022-02-28 kl. 15:47, skrev Steffen Möller:
Hello again,

On 28.02.22 14:28, andy pugh wrote:
On Mon, 28 Feb 2022 at 13:22, Steffen Möller <steffen_moel...@gmx.de> wrote:

Personally I know nothing about EtherCAT. I have always been a little
afraid of the licensing complexities mentioned here:

https://etherlab.org/en/ethercat/

Etherlab itself is GPLv2, but _using_ it seems to bring a different
licensing restriction into play. And I don't know enough about
licensing to know if that's a problem.

I called them up - first the Beckhoff group (they have nice stuff on https://www.beckhoff.com/en-gb/) and from there I was pointed to the EtherCAT Technology Group (https://www.ethercat.org/de/contact.html), so I called them, too. Without that membership we would be in said uncharacterized unmitigated license trouble

Already have a simple implementation of an Ethercat driver with hardcoded configuration but read something about the license problem and have kept it for myself.

  that Andy referenced but with that membership they would be very sweet to us. From what I understand, they try to be good people and just in case someone messes something up they do not want to guess how to reach out. So we are asked to become a member of the EtherCAT Technology Group (ETG) - for which we would identify someone who would serve as a communicator between them and our community and write a "3-line email" with our request to integrate an EtherCAT driver that is available at some URL with LinuxCNC as described on https://linuxcnc.org.

I do not see that Debian would become a member of their Technology Group. And it would not make too much sense to me to have any extra outreach from Debian to that ETG, but we can ask for an OK to have that distribution channel and also ask for Fedora at the same time.

Now - big question: Is there an agreement that it would be beneficial for LinuxCNC to become a member of the ETG? It is free. And there likely a series of perks for training material that may not be of our immediate concern. They invited me to help with that initial contact but that LinuxCNC-representative to them could then be anyone we pick. Andy? Rod? You both? Jeff? All three of yours?
I could volunteer.

Nicklas SB Karlsson