Steffan,
Thanks for the background and update.
Sometimes I think I must be the only one playing with Sid and the Debian
packages.
It's now quite dated. It's a bit frustrating that you have to then compile
Linuxcnc to get the latest updates but the vast majority of the
dependencies are already installed so this is pretty easy if you follow the
docs.

With the things I've done, I've never been able to run the release version
as it is missing stuff I need.

If it were me, I would just take a snapshot of Linuxcnc master branch for
your tarball from time to time but I'm not in the dev team.
I guess that's basically what we users do when we compile master branch.
Its been very rare that I've experienced a major issue in the code. (once
or twice in 5 years)
Maybe Andy or someone can just create that pre1 branch so we can update the
repos.

When 2.9 is frozen and moved to a separate branch, it becomes pretty easy
to know what needs to be packaged. It will eventually become the stable
release version so updates will be very infrequent. I think we need a bit
more intensive care for the initial period.

I really appreciate all that you've done to get us this far. I just hope
the project gets in the groove of timing their version updates with the
Debian releases.
I have to say that the 5.16 kernel is giving the most amazingly low latency
on USFF hardware I have had for years.. and proper UEFI support is nice...

Rod Webster
*1300 896 832*
+61 435 765 611
Vehicle Modifications Network