On 11/9/22 21:27, Rod Webster wrote:
Alec, the RT8169 hardware may be ok but the same driver is used for a host
of other hardware and it does not work as well. The RT8168-dkms driver
covers some of them and can be used to replace the RT8169.
https://packages.debian.org/buster/r8168-dkms. Read the notes on the repo
page
I had the RT8168 driver working once perfectly with a RT8111 on Bullseye
but could never do it again on a reinstall. It seems too many devices are
being supported by the one driver and performance suffers.
I think this is a real issue because the average new user should not be
expected to compile the kernel and it severely limits the available
hardware that will work with linuxcnc. For all its faults, Bookworm will be
the easiest path for users when 2.9 releases in the absence of buildbot
images. You can't install the bookworm packages on Bullseye. I tried...

So did I, but my buildbot's problem was the version of python 3 shipped with bullseye. Too new. Wash rinse & repeat for bookworm I expect. Then again, my test machine is the rpi4 running my Sheldon lathe. I thought at the time that should have been an easy .configure script fix, but its been a year now and no one has announced success. And I can't make a camera work on buster for 2 consecutive buildbot versions. debian seems bound to cripple us back to text screens, as everytime I update I get 10 or more gfx related libraries updated and something else doesn't work on bullseye. which this machine is running.

Bullseye currently requires lcnc to be installed from source.... so not a
good candidate if it can be avoided. Bullseye (kernel 5.10) is not immune
from  the error finishing read but I suspect the very first versions are
OK. Maybe your 5.4 kernel is OK. Note that predates support for the Realtek
8125 2.5 gb NIC used in the Odroid and an increasing number of SFF PC's
(support was added in 5.9) So maybe that's when they reworked it.

I've never had any delays with bookworm booting. Its pretty speedy here...

Rod Webster
*1300 896 832*
+61 435 765 611
Vehicle Modifications Network
www.vehiclemods.net.au

On Thu, 10 Nov 2022 at 11:24, Alec Ari via Emc-developers <