On Dec 3, 2022, at 10:58 AM, Chris Morley
<chrisinnana...@hotmail.com> wrote:

Have you looked at machinekit code? Is that similar to what you
want?

On 12/3/22 17:06, Johannes Fassotte wrote:
> I think that this will get done individuals like me that get together
> and see the advantages that this offers. I usually get  referred to
> machinekit liked you did which is really like saying go away, we
> don’t want to hear this because it is not compatible with existing
> plans and therefore rejected.

I have two comments to make here.

1:

Last time i looked at machinekit's "machinetalk" feature, it was basically a special UI that got its "user input" from 0mq instead of from mouse clicks and keyboard presses, and reported its info into 0mq instead of into a GUI window. Machinetalk still interfaced to LinuxCNC using the same old NML system we've been using since the beginning.

Machinekit may have evolved since then, or I may me misremembering (as it's been years since I looked at it), so please fact-check me and correct me if i'm wrong.

I would welcome a new network-transparent interface for UIs to talk to the LinuxCNC machine control core, but I am not at all interested in adding a new layer of pretty networking on top of the existing interfaces. If you're going to do this, do it right, by replacing the old cruft with new, more useful stuff.

2:

There is no cabal of evil villains preventing innovation and improvement in LinuxCNC. There's not even a "board of directors" that makes their own plans and rejects everyone else's good ideas.

There is only a loose association of well-meaning, interested individuals, all contributing what we can, when we can, as it fits around the other things going on in our lives.

If you have a good idea, please, bring it up and discuss it on the mailing list as you did. If anyone is moved to add anything to the discussion, they will. Don't take silence as rejection, it's often just folks being distracted by other things and not paying attention to the mailing list. Ideas that are presented clearly (and politely) will get the most interaction. Your idea may get criticism and/or encouragement, but remember that in the end, no one is obligated to act on your ideas. If you want something, you generally have to do it yourself, with the guidance and whatever collaboration individuals in the community choose to offer you.

Code talks, especially well implemented, well documented, well tested code grounded in community discussion and rough consensus.

--
Sebastian Kuzminsky