Well, there may be another option if you still have (or can still retrieve) the
tarball from which you started.
It is three steps:

1. Rename your current source tree to avoid overwriting it, call it "mywork"
2. Unpack the original tarball of LinuxCNC of version 2.8 that you edited.
3. Create a diff of the two and redirect that into a file:
   diff -r original mywork > whateverpathto/mywork.patch
4. Clone the current master branch of LinuxCNC
5. patch it with what you saved in mywork.patch:
   patch -p1 < whateverpathto/mywork.patch

Not all hunks of that patch will work, but many will be just fine.

Good luck!
Steffen