@Chuck,

Not for controlling anything because of truly evil latencies, but without any
motors attached you may want to check if the SPI errors also show when running
the official Raspbian OS. This could be an indication of some firmware issue -
or some timing parameters - or ... just á hunch - Rod knows more than I do.

Best,
Steffen