On 1/3/24 16:09, Chuck Peplinski wrote:
If the R-Pi guys are being responsive, I wonder if you find any answer about the SPI interface for the Mesa boards?  I found that linux-cnc reported SPI errors when trying to talk to the 7C81.  I'm new to the Linux-CNC community, so maybe I'm doing something else wrong.  But I got the idea on the forums that there was some known issues with SPI on the R-Pi5.

As a user using rpspi to a mea 7i90HD, I was amazed that when subbing an rpi4b for a 3b required no changes to the spi bus. Part of the timing that makes it work is the nanosecond lags between the clock and data tines, extremely critical when the speeds are as high as they are, the write from the pi to the mesa card is 42+ megabaud! And the corresponding read is at half the 50 megacycle clocking speed of the mesa card or 25 megabaud. the rise and fall times of the actual transistors used are extremely critical and any change in the device geometry that changes this waveform cannot be well seen with a 100 mhz scope, one of the reasons I now own the fastest sampler Siglent makes, a 4 channel color channel with a 350 mhz bandwidth on all 4 channels, worth $3400 USD when I bought it nearly 3 years ago. The differences you can see are amazing. One of the things I noted was that to make it work error free on the pi3 was that it worked well with the scope probe attached to the clock but not so well w/o it, so I wound up with a 10 pf cap to ground on the pi3, but didn't need it when the pi4b was substituted. Based on that I concluded that the speed of the transistor was part of the magic sauce that made it work.

Your remark makes me wonder if this same effect might be checked for with a 10 pf cap on one or the other signals to effect a few picoseconds delay difference between the clock and data lines and make it work. There is I think a parity checksum as an error detector in the protocol, with a parity error being corrected by a retransmit so if you see a sudden burst of traffic its correcting such an error.. But PCW knows that code 50,000% better than I so he is welcome to correct me. I'm just guessing based on what I see on the scope screen based on 74 years of using a scope to see what the electrical stuff is doing. 74 years ago realtime was a 5" crt with a 5 megahertz bandwidth. A
Hickock 505. Sync-able but not triggered, that was a game changer.

It's been on my list to follow the build instructions and see if I could find out more, but that hasn't happened yet.

     Thanks,

         Chuck