Alex,

So you are back to EMC2? :) As I said earlier, a good place to start is the
hal tutorial in the user's manual. See:
http://www.linuxcnc.org/docs/EMC2_User_Manual.pdf

You really need to go through the tutorial to understand how hal works, and
in the process how to configure your system.

While configuration is not as simple nor much like many other CNC systems,
it is extremely powerful and flexible, hence allows you to do things which
very few other systems can.

I have not done much with EMC and steppers, so there may be a better
reference, however look at the univstep configuration
(config/univstep/univstep_io.hal). You will see commands such as "newsig"
and "linksp". Those are the commands which are creating signals, assigning
signals to pins, etc. in this case for the Pico systems board. Specifically:

newsig Xminlim bit
newsig Xmaxlim  bit
newsig Xhome bit

Which is assigning signals for the home and end of travel limits for the X
axis.

linksp Xminlim <= ppmc.0.din.01.in
linksp Xmaxlim <= ppmc.0.din.02.in
linksp Xhome <= ppmc.0.din.00.in

Which links physical inputs to the above signals.

linksp Xminlim => axis.0.neg-lim-sw-in
linksp Xmaxlim => axis.0.pos-lim-sw-in
linksp Xhome => axis.0.home-sw-in

Which links those signals to the respective axis pins. IOW,
ppmc.0.din.01.in => Xminlim => axis.0.neg-lim-sw-in

The same basic principles apply for any system, but the I/O has to be
assigned based on what drivers, etc. are loaded. In the univstep
configuration, they are found in the file univstep_load.hal. The most
important one to notice is "loadrt hal_ppmc" which is loading the pico
system driver. For the parallel port there will be a similar command such as
"loadrt hal_parport". Once the driver is loaded you can start assigning
signals, etc. to it. This is where halcmd comes in handy, because you can
run a configuration such as "stepper_inch", then run "halcmd" to "show" the
available signals, pins and parameters, and hence what is available, which
determines what you can assign and link to.

Regards,
Eric