Ed Nisley <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

More than I can absorb at the moment, I'll look in more
depth tonight.

Big snip...

>> Feed override set less than 100%?

> Nope. I bumped the initial jog speed up to 30 in/min. AXIS
> (GUI of choice right now) starts at some nose-pickin' jog
> speed where I can count steps on my fingers. Sheesh...

I think the initial jog speed is determined by
DEFAULT_VELOCITY in the [TRAJ] section of the ini file.
Yours is set to 0.0167 inches/sec, or 1 inch/min.

> > do the initial tuning with just stepgen and a signal
> > generator.
>
> If you can walk me through that process (or point me
> to the doc, which I probably missed), I'll give it a go.

Have you read the HAL Manual?

http://www.linuxcnc.org/docs/HAL_Documentation.pdf

That copy dates from June of this year.  Jeff Epler posts
a version that updates automatically when the source document
is changed, but the URL escapes me at the moment.  Maybe
he'll see this and post the URL.

It's a close to 100 page tome, with general introduction,
tutorials, and lots of reference info.  Perhaps download
onto your laptop before your trip for some casual reading.
The first 2 chapters (25-30 pages) are the ones to read
to get the main ideas, then chapter 5.1 for "halcmd", the
main tool you use to interactively control the HAL.

Section 2.4 is a tutorial that sets up two step generators
and the HAL signal generator.  It sends sine to one axis
and cosine to the other to make the machine go around in
circles.  You'll need to improvise a bit - it uses freqgen
instead of stepgen for example.  Both freqgen and siggen
are documented in some detail in the pdf.

In your case, just hook up one axis at a time, use stepgen
instead of freqgen, and use the square wave output of the
signal generator.  Set the frequency to 0.01667 or so at
first (one cycle per minute) and set the amplitude small
(1 inch or less).

If you run into trouble just ask.

> Signal generators, I got!

The signal generator I was referring to is a software
one in HAL.  Sine, cosine, triangle, sawtooth, and square
waves.  Adjustable amplitude, offset, and frequency.
Section 7.8 of the HAL manual.

If you can get in IRC one of these days I'd be happy to
walk you thru the entire process.  I'm usually online in
the evenings eastern US time.  #emc on irc.freenode.net

Regards,

John Kasunich