Richard Arthur wrote:

>[snip]
>With 1000 count encoders and ball screw pitch 0.2 inch giving a
>resolution of 0.0002 inch, I note the old original control display
>actually indicated a resolution of 0.0001 inch. Presumably, it really is
>limited to 0.0002 inch?

If you get 1000 cycles on each of these wires, then you have an encoder
which will give you 4000 pulses per revolution.  This is because the
encoder counters count each state change as a discrete position, and
there are 4 state changes per cycle (A off + B off, A on + B off, A on +
B on, and A off + B on).  Assuming 1:1 drive from the motor to the
screw, you'll get 20000 pulses per inch, or 0.00005 resolution.

- Steve