On Sun, 2007-07-29 at 19:05 -0400, John Kasunich wrote:
<s>
> There is a "president" position on the board, but it is not particularly
> different than any other board member.  The president presides at board
> meetings if needed.  However all board members have equal votes.

Um.  Perhaps this is a quibble but, no we no longer have a president as
a member of the board, we have a chairman.  This change was made soon
after the last election and Chris took on that role.  A quote from the
minutes of the IRC meeting, December 3, 2005

        "...
        Much discussion about whether the board needs a chairman (mostly
        to direct IRC meetings).

        "Motion by JMK:
        that we elect a chairman
        Second by Ray
        Votes:
        Ray, Alex, Jon: AYE
        JMK, Cradek: abstain

        "Nominations for Chairman: Ray, JMK, Cradek
        Ray declined
        Cradek was elected by a 3-to-2 margin."

        http://wiki.linuxcnc.org/cgi-bin/emcinfo.pl?BoardOfDirectors

This was a change and it is reflected in the bylaws.

        "The new board has conferred and decided to have a 'chairperson'
        rather than a 'president'.

        "It was further decided that Chris Radek will be the
        chairperson."

        http://www.linuxcnc.org/content/view/12/10/lang,en/

The remainder of John's post is correct that the board members are now
considered equal, the chair presides and applies order to meetings.

Rayh