On Friday 07 December 2007, Alex Joni wrote:
>Hi Kirk,
>
>it looks pretty ok from a first glimpse. Some outdated stuff in there, but
>you'll be able to sort it out.
>There are 2 nml's included with emc2 which help you set up remote GUI
>functionality.
>
>There is one issue I want to raise here: opening ngc files.
>For this to work both the GUI and the remote emc2 need to access the same
>files & dirs.
>The best way to accomplish this is to mount the remote dir locally using
>something like smbmount (through smb/CIFS), or nfsmount.
>
>The other way to do this is by running ssh with X forwarding. (you connect
>to the emc2 machine, run emc2, and the display gets forwarded through the
>ssh connection to the client machine). I think there's stuff describing this
>in the wiki.
>
>Regards,
>Alex

I do that here, with an "xhost +192.168.nn.nn" in the shell after I've started
x on this box, then "ssh -X -l username 'alias of machine'" to log into and
run emc from here.  For testing only since I can't see the machine, so
stepper power is still off.  I have got to get a camera with an ethernet
server in it...  and I have a higher resolution screen here than there.  Go
figure.

Cheers, Gene
He who has a shady past knows that nice guys finish last.