Mark Wendt (Contractor) wrote:
> I've in the process of building a two axis machine - using the X and
> Z axis, and I have a three axis stepper/driver combo already set up
> and basically ready to go.  I was wondering if there is some way to
> configure EMC so that I could slave the Y axis to the X axis. and use
> two steppers, one on each side of the gantry.
There are much better ways to do this.  Depending on the motion
hardware you have, this slaving can be done in the HAL layer,
and once it is set up right, you never need to know there are
two motors moving in unison again.

The tricky bit is to figure out how to get the two sides of the
gantry synchronized so the machine is "square" and not
distorted.  The large gantry mills have bearings in the gantry
towers so that when the gantry sides are out of sync a little it
doesn't stress or break the machine's structure.  Homing the
axis brings both sides to preset alignment with individual
sensors.  I'm sure there are ways to do this easily in HAL with
a couple AND gates that shuts off steps to the motor that
reaches home first, then waits until the second motor gets there
before completing the home sequence.

This gantry scheme is called a "tandem axis".

Jon