Kent A. Reed wrote:
> Anders:
>
> I hesitate to throw what may be just another red herring into the
> discussion, but there are a number of 600-second defaults floating
> around Linux, and it is possible you're getting tripped up by one of
> them rather than by some clock problem.
>
> For example, by default, the stock Ubuntu 7.10 on my home PC clears the
> ip4 routing table every 600 seconds (defined in
> /proc/sys/net/ip4/secret_interval). I would assume the time it takes to
> do this is dependent on the size of the routing table (this created a
> problem with a Redhat system we built at work to monitor experiments).

Anything happening in IP routing should be totally unable to
affect the RT system.  Maybe it does something else at the same
time that triggers something in the ethernet driver, like a big
DMA burst.
> I also used to trip over the various ways screen blanking intervals are
> defined in X11, though that seems an unlikely cause of your problem.
Some of the computers with on-board video handle certain things
in BIOS ROM routines, and these can cause upsets to the RT
environment on some machines.  Sometimes you can turn these
things off, or set them to be done by Linux-level software
rather than "hidden" features, by turning down the X-windows
acceleration support in the configuration menu.  I can easily
see how a screensaver could trigger some bit-blt activity that
might have side effects.  I think this one is well worth pursuing.

Jon