Kenneth Lerman wrote:
> The suggestion was made that arp or some other ethernet related protocol
> might run every ten seconds. Disabling ethernet in the bios might be
> *causing* the problem if all of the protocols are not disabled in software.
>
> I sure don't know what would happen if something is trying to use the
> ethernet and there was no hardware there.
>
> (That's probably not the problem, but it can't hurt to suggest looking at
> it.)  :-{
I have a Dell desktop box here that is in a location where I
share ethernet jacks.  I know that you just about can't log
in and get X running without the ethernet being connected.
After 10+ minutes, it finally gets running and appears OK.
(At one time I knew how to disable this, but now I've forgotten.
Certainly shutting down one of the network daemons.  But, before
it gives up, the system is insanely slow, it literally takes
10+minutes for the login stuff for X to complete.

I don't think this affects the RT system, though.

Jon