Jeff Epler wrote:
> Jon,
> What *should* the driving signals look like at the input of your
> amplifiers?  I assume from your response that I'm making some kind of
> rookie mistake here, compounded by the fact that I still don't
> understand what the mistake is.
No, maybe not.

My amps were designed for sign/magnitude.  The direction signal
is pretty obvious, and the PWM signal should have current in the
optocoupler's LED when you want the power transistor "on".
So at idle, there should be only very short current pulses in
the PWM opto, amd the direction will be flipping back and forth
as the control loop dithers. What you want to avoid is dithering
where the PWM is more than a couple percent and the direction is
flipping back and forth each PWM cycle.  The PWM can go to
zero%, but should not exceed about 97% on-time, to keep the
bootstrap capacitors charged.

These amps CAN be driven in synchronous-antiphase, where you
turn the PWM on all the time and control only the direction
signal, but above about 50 V on the DC supply, the filter
inductors will really overheat badly.  So, I don't recommend
that mode of operation.  Here, the idle situation would have a
50% duty cycle on the DIR input.

There's also the "bootstrap" problem, where the amps need a
pulse in each direction every time they come out of estop to
reset the shutdown FFs in the FET driver chips.  (My AC servo
amps handle this in the CPLD, but the 4000-series CMOS in the DC
brush version of the amp is the epitome of dumbness.)

Jon