Jeff Epler wrote:
> hm I am seeing something similar with the step generator.  Its feedback
> position never changes.  no errors in dmesg.

Yes, I can reproduce this here - stepgen doesnt work on the 5i20.  Sorry
guys... How embarassing.  :-(

My test setup consists of a PC running emc2 TRUNK.  It's got a 7i43
plugged into a parport and a 5i20 on the PCI bus.  The 7i43 has two
steppers on it, and the 5i20 has 3 servos on it.

This setup conspicuously doesnt test steppers on the 5i20 or servos on
the 7i43.  I dont currently have the hardware to have both servos and
steppers plugged into both the 7i43 and the 5i20, so my testing isnt as
good as it should be...  I should fix that...

The HAL config I test with leaves one of the 5i20 servos un-driven,
reads its encoder as a kind of MPG, and drives the other two 5i20 servos
and the two 7i43 steppers to copy its position.  So i can twist the
motor shaft of the third servo and the other four motors follow it.

Anyway.  Here are some observations:

7i43:

Using firmware SVST4_4S.BIT

Enable raw mode (config="enable_raw").  (Raw mode is documented in
hostmot2(9), it's Peter's idea and it's really handy for this kind of
debugging.)

Set raw.read_address to 0x2100 (stepgen.00's Accumulator register).

Run one halmeter watching the pin "stepgen.00.debug.rate" and one
watching the pin "raw.read_data" (ie, the value at address 0x2100).

Command stepgen.00 to move and I can see the Rate register commanding
the FPGA to step, and I can see the stepgen's reported position in the
Accumulator increasing, and I can see the stepper motor turn.

5i20:

Using firmware SVST8_4.BIT

Same setup (enable raw mode, tell raw to read the stepgen.00 Accumulator
at 0x2100, and use halmeter to watch stepgen.00.debug.rate and
raw.read_data).

Command stepgen.00 to move and I can se the Rate register commanding the
FPGA to step, but I do *not* see the stepgen's reported position in the
Accumulator increasing.  (Since there's no stepper or oscilloscope on
the stepgen.00 pins, I really dont know what the control lines are
doing, but the Accumulator register should definately increase.)

I've taken a screenshot showing this, it's at
<http://highlab.com/~seb/snapshot1.png>.  There are six halmeters.  The
three on the left are looking at 7i43, the three on the right are
looking at the 5i20.  stepgen.00 on both boards are getting the same
position-cmd (because they're netted together in the "follow-the-leader"
net, show in the halcmd output).  However, the 7i43 has long since
gotten there, and it's Rate is now 0 and it's Accumulator has the number
of steps it took to get there.  The 5i20 on the other hand is commanding
a high Rate, and it's Accumulator still shows 0.

Both go through the same code path in the hostmot2 driver, so this
behavior is strange to me.

Peter, could you make the stepgen Rate register read/write, so I can
read back the command for sanity checking?

--
Sebastian Kuzminsky
Cryogenic travel has improved since then...  I woke screaming in a