Peter, Sebastian,

Ok, I understand the intent of the enable. This application is a retrofit.
There is a board available for the  laser used having some additional I/O
including a hardware enable, but opted not to get it back when it was built
(it is a small 50 Watt laser). Thus the only means of turning off the laser
is by setting the PWM to zero. There is a shutter of course, so it will beam
dump when the shutter is closed.

The shutter also mechanically selects between the laser and an alignment
diode. Thus, when I run with the shutter closed to use the alignment diode,
there is no difference in the values being sent to the PWM than when the
laser is selected.

There is no safety issue, it just wastes electricity and ever so slightly
shortens the time before the laser will need the CO2 recharged.

Would there be any adverse side effect to simply set pwmgen.value to 0.0 in
the driver (pwmgen.c) when pwmgen.enable is false?

Regards,
Eric

The PWM pin would only be forced low when the channel is disabled in the PWM
enable register. After Watchdog bite and at bootup, all I/Os would be in the
high state.

Still think best is to use the active low PWM enable output as separate
hardware enable, perhaps moved to one of the GPIO pins if a 7I37 is used to
enable the laser.