I was just reading SERVO, and a guy is using one of the PicoITX boards.
Low power consumption, small, and could do well, but I would like a board
with 3 or 4 parallel ports available, even using a 'plug in board'.
That would give
all the expansion I could ever think of.  But building a parallel port
board can't
be that big a deal.

I don't know what happened to the real time projects.  I suspect that
many of them
migrated to doing embedded systems, or virtuilization.  Unless someone
has a real
need for hard real time (like machine control, etc) using an attached
embedded
system may be easier and cheaper (given the time cost in the software).
But that
is just my guess.

As computers get faster, and if lightly run response time shrinks, near
real time
might be good enough for non-supercritical projects.