tomp wrote:

> i dont think firewire card is rare or expensive
> siig syba & other mfctrs
> tiger direct 20$
> mirco center 20$
> newegg 12.99$
> so not rare
> and not expensive
> more important, it already works realtime linux rtai for motion control

OK, they have REALLY come down, I haven't looked at FireWire in a long
time.  It was actually declared "dead" several years ago, but the users
wouldn't allow it.  But, there are these REALLY cheap USB- and
Ethernet-enabled CPU chips and CPU-less USB target device chips that
could be used (if suitable) to control some other motion hardware.
Using one of the USB FIFO chips to send out step pulses sounds like it
might actually be pretty easy.  (Note the "might"!)

Jon